Alice In Tanzania

This Blog is a diary of my trip to Tanzania where i will be teaching English to children, oh what a pure and golden soul I have O:) x

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

k...so much to say...so little time to do it!

Note to self.....if im going to come on the internet so much to check my emails (which by the way are not very regular! come on guys...just split it between u all, one every week off each of u on different days would suffice i think!) i must update my blog more regularly! seeing as iv completely given up on my diary (sorry...its just so much hard work!) im kinda relying on this blog to remind me of my adventures!
so.....weekend of the 10th feb! err....in brief....we all went out on saturday night to masai camp...me and flik (the hardcore ones!) stayed out and went to colobus (a night club) but the others went to one of the other houses 4 showers etc! Me and flik had a sleepover at ours...martyn, jon, dave and jess! very fun! :) then sunday, we just slept.....ALL day...kinda reminded me of bein at home with jonny! lol! :)
Our toilet got fixed on sunday...the plumber came round and fixed it! Woop! i nearly cried! then it rained REALLY hard (as it is doing now by the way!) and we got water! it was finally all coming together....our toilet was fixed AND it was filling up with water!
this week we've been back at school, mama philis made me teach on my own cos shes a lazy poo and cant be bothered! her class are HORRIBLE! :( none of them listen to me and im beginning to give up on them! :S i wouldnt mind if she warned me about what i was teaching so i could make lesson plans (as we all know...Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance!) but she doesnt even do that! i have to ask her for books to teach out of and shes not told me where they're up to or anything! :( my other teacher is COOL! shes lovely and says she'll teach me swahili if i can teach her english in return!
monday was highly amusing for me and cat....we both left the house for school and saw Mr Msovu (the deputy head and our next door neigbour) wearing this very dashing beige shirt with blue and brown checks on it....then to our surprise...we also bumped into this female teacher wearing the exact same shirt! the funniest bit was when we sat in the staffroom for chai and there was EIGHT people in the same shirt! hahaha! mustv been some kind of school uniform...im thinking of getting myself one! hehe!
Iv developed a discipline order with Standard 3A (3B are fine and my teacher never deserts me! mind...she is pretty damn harsh...she keeps punching them in the head!!!) it goes....
1) shout at them
2) make them sit at the front of the class on the floor
3)make them stand at the front of the class with their head in a circle that has been drawn on the board!!
4)draw two circles for their hands aswell!!
5)send them out (absolute extreme cos they're almost definatly gonna get caned off someone if they get caught stood outside my class!)
its pretty effective though...im still refining it!

Oh my god....this whole teaching thing though....honestly, it drains you! if any of my teachers read this EVER....im so sorry for being such a shit! (apart from mr marshall!!) its so tiring an it makes it worse that one minute ill be absolutly fine and the next i will want to burst into tears! quite strange really....feel like iv got constant PMT!!! hehe!

so....valentines day...thought id feel quite poo, there's only cat in the house that doesnt have a boyfriend so i thought we'd all just kind of mope around for a bit but not at all! had a celebratory valentines disco...was possibly the best disco iv ever had!! decorated the bedroom doors with a love heart tissue each and put my ipod in fliks speakers...got cats flashing headtorch out (legend! i shouldv got one of those...they make for endless fun!!) and danced to the YMCA, oops uspside your head, the timewarp, los ketchup song, the macarena (both the original and the chipmunks version!), and the cha cha slide!! I taught the girls the teasers version of YMCA!! didnt think the fact that cats dad is a vicar could get any funnier till i saw her doing that!! haha!! cat recorded it all and we all have photos so dont fear!!

The other day...me and cat had wandered into town and were just sat outside here (the patisserie) waiting for a taxi...next thing we know two police cars drove past with their nee-naws on....this worried me slightly as i had noticed that i hadnt seen one police car since arrival so to have their nee-naws on, it mustv been pretty serious...then...on followed a whole load of big blacked out landrovers with flags and flashing lights on them! we noticed that everybody had come out of their shops and stopped to stare so cat suggested we should stand up like everybody else in case it was the president...it turned out...it was!!! very exciting indeed!!

also, we've worked out that the grill is not broken so iv been living off toast and peanut butter!!! woop!

anyhoo, later on that evening (fri night) me, flik, tessa and cat were sat n the living room (adele and ellen had gone to moshit with all the girls from tessas house) eating our mugs of custard (!!) when tessa pointed at a big black thing on the wall and said "whats that?! it just happened to be the enormously large cockroach that we had seen on wednesday evening!! so...knowing that we couldnt do anything about it till it came down off the ceiling we just carried on (cautiously) as normal with our conversations! however...to our dismay..the cockroach FLEW!!! since when did cockroachs fly?! this one did!! (mind u...we did call it christ...maybe thats got something to do with it!!) oh my god....i have never been so frightened in all my life...it was like a small bird!!!

ARGH!! writing my little fingers off now...3 minutes left...sorry guys what was later called 'the night of the lflying cockroach' will have to wait till next time im afraid!!! sorry 4 the terrible spelling...im wrting on a keyboard with arabic letters on it...good job i know where the letters are supposed to be!!

will wite soon...luv u all tonz and tonz xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

2 Comments:

At 6:35 PM, Blogger K8 Wig said...

I cant believe you fools didnt know that cockroaches flew. Im dead pissed and not sure how to type at the moment but still know that cockraoches can fly. youre all buggered in africa if you didnt know that. hehehe. Hi Sis! AMLOVEING YOur blog so sorry not breen on yet am devising a plan and once the git of computer killed my blog but Im at Forder's now so Im tanning there t'internet. Guess what? Carla's booked holiday t'eygpyt on t/internet! Just though that was funny..... cant believe you doing all that teaching stuff so proud keep open mind love you lots and lots K8 xxxxxxxx

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger K8 Wig said...

Hi Sis,

god I really was drunk when I posted that last message.....

Just been on Cat's blog - she's a brilliant writer, you should tell her from me she should be a journalist. Funny to read her side of events with random people - somehow, its always you that recruits them, how surprising! Not! That's why you're so great to have around coz you're a bit daft and incredibly brave and totally open minded so don't see every African bloke as a potential threat. How did your free dinner go then?

I'm in the grips of job applications at the moment and without wishing to moan in this communal space of happy new adventures its ABSOLUTELY DOING MY HEAD IN. No idea what I want to do at all, just applying for loads of things, getting interviews and then realising I don't want the job anyway. For example, got a job interview as a press officer for Greater Manchester police on Friday. Can you really see me promoting the police in the press? Ha! Sticking up for officers I know have done something henious to someone? Extolling the evils of cannabis? Hypocrisy at its hightest. But its good money and in Mani. What to do!!!!!

So, needless to say I am especially jealous that you are out there experiencing the world and I am here being consumed by this smelly city feeling older more useless every day.

O for gods sake Wig cheer up! Sorry for being such a winger. Keep enjoying yourself missis, really glad to hear you had a good and eventful weekend and keep making those local contacts, I plan to poach them one day......

Also, I wondered if you could do me a favour? There are reports all over the British press (well, the Independent and its one man crusade to save the environment with pictures) about a drought in East Africa that is threatening the migration patterns of the Serengheti and Masai plains. Could you possibly speak to a few peeps and see whether they have any opinions on this, or whether it is just another exaggerated story? Check out this link for the story:

http://somalinet.com/news/world/English/1913

I'm very seriously contemplating coming over and doing a documentary about it so could do to gauge the opinion of the people who could potentially be affected. Has it been a drier season than usual? Things like that. Ta babe, will give you credit when I win a Pulitzer.

S'pose I'd better get on with researching about the police so I don't sound like a total tool in my interview. Keep having fun honey, and writing these brilliant blogs, though because I am such an old fart I do wish you would use less exclamation marks. And you lot - you know who you are - why are there no more comments from you moaning about how jealous you are! Come on folks, this is killing me here!!!

Lots of love Sis, write again soon, K xxxxxxxxxxxxx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home